Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Freakin awesome taco chicken

Pretty good  Freakin Awesome Taco Chicken (Not your storebought stuff!)



Last weekend, Darren's friend Jason came to visit from Salt Lake City.  It was bittersweet because he was coming to close on his house, meaning we won't see them again until the wedding.  I decided to make a special dinner that day to give him a good send off.  Unfortunately, I had a lot to do, including going to look at bridesmaid and flower girl dresses.  So, on with the slow cooker!

I love Mexican food, maybe a little too much.  I have been known to go to breakfast at First Watch and order a chicken quesadilla!  I just find the store bought pre-made taco seasoning to be too salty and artificial.    I decided to go ahead and make my own.  I have tweaked it a few times and done it with shredded chicken and ground turkey, even with Boca meatless crumbles!  This is a perfect recipe for the slow cooker because it cooks with the seasoning on so it's juicy and flavorful!

I would like to take a moment to talk about a seasoning that I can't live without.  It's called southwestern seasoning.  You can usually find it at your cooking specialty stores and it's a blend of spices that includes Ancho Peppers, Onion, Chipotle, Cayenne, and lots of other good stuff.  It's great for seasoning burgers, fish, jerk rubbing for chicken, and makes a great flavor boost for chili!  I get my Trail Dust from Cooks 'Wares in Harpers Point.  Don't have it?  Get it!


So, this is one of the easiest recipes in the whole world!  You can make a large amount of the seasoning ahead of time or do like I do, just throw it all in at once.  Mix it up in your chicken, let it cook all day, and poof!  Delicious shredded chicken that's melt in your mouth and is worthy of sending off a good friend.  

Homemade Taco Seasoning (shredded chicken slow cooker edition)

1-1 1/4 lbs raw boneless, sinless chicken breast tenderloins
1/4 c salsa (any kind works)

Taco Seasoning:

2 tsp southwestern seasoning
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients in small slow cooker.  Cook on High for 1 hour.  Reduce heat to low and cook for 3 more hours, until chicken is fully cooked and easily shredded by stirring with a fork.  Serve in tortillas, topped with salsa and cilantro.  Cheers!

Love,
Lura


No comments:

Post a Comment