Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Family Recipe Mac 'n' Cheese

Mom's Famous Mac 'n' Cheese


Eating this pasta makes me think of home.  It makes me think of growing up and having it with fish sticks or hot dogs carved out to look like little puppies with mustard eyes and macaroni ears.  Food is something I feel needs to be shared, to be passed on throughout the generations.  Share this recipe with your family, just like my great grandmother taught her daughter, who taught her daughter, who taught me...




Mom came to town to visit this week and decided she would make my brother's favorite dish of hers (and one of mine as well), macaroni and cheese.  I know, sounds simple, right?  But there's just something that says home about melted cheese over starchy pasta with just a bit of crusty crunch on top.  (Mmmmm... drool...)  She revealed to me that this recipe was taught to her mother by my namesake, my great grandma Lura. Also, apparently, the only thing my grandma could cook properly!!  Of course, I just HAD to put it into the blog.  

So overall, this is a pretty easy dish to make.  Cook some pasta *I like rotini, mom likes the old fashioned stuff* Put some cheese in, pour milk, garnish, and bake until it's done. or in my case, until the top burns just a little... mmmmmm, brown pasta....


Two Cheese Macaroni And Cheese Bake

1 1/2 lbs Pasta, cooked
1 c Colby Cheese, cut into 1" cubes
1 c Velveeta Cheese, cut into 1" cubes
2 c Milk, heated
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Flour
8 tbsp Butter or Margarine

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  In a large casserole dish, spray nonstick cooking spray.  Cook pasta and drain well.  Pour pasta into prepared dish.  Take the cheese cubes and push them slightly into the pasta, so they're not just sitting on top.  Heat the milk in the microwave, and pour into the bottom of the casserole dish.  Season the top with salt and pepper.  Using the flour, create a heavy dusting on top of the pasta.  Dollop the butter on, about a tablespoon at a time.  (This makes the top crunchy!)  Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crispy and the cheese is melted and bubbling.  

Enjoy!

Love,
Lura A.,
Paula D.,
Grace W., and
Lura P.





No comments:

Post a Comment